April 01, 2013

No. 344


“Tell me a story,” said little Brian Sanderson. “A good one.”

His older sister, Amy, sighed. “Again?” she asked. “I just told you one last night.”

“Yeah,” agreed Brian. “But it was crap.”

Amy nodded. He was right, but she didn’t want to have to actually say the words. “Ok,” she conceded. “Give me a second to think.”

Brian waited patiently, eyes fixed on his sister.

She began.

“Steve could hear the monster chewing, deep within the cave.”

“Cool!” Brian interrupted. “Is it eating a dude?”

“Let me get started!” Amy insisted. “You’ll find out!”

The story continued.

“And Steve knew the gruesome noises were all that were left of his friend David.”

“Gross!” said Brian.

“Steve was sure that he had only minutes to live. He struggled against the rocks that pinned him to the floor of the cavern.”

“I’d chew my leg off to escape,” added Brian.

Amy’s eyes widened. “You’re disgusting!”

“What?” said Brian. “I would. Wouldn’t you?”

“No.”

“Will Steve?”

“What did I say about listening?” Amy scolded. “Anyway. Steve was sure that he had only minutes to live.”

“You said that part already,” Brian reminded her, unhelpfully.

“That’s it. You’ll never know what happens to Steve. Story’s over.”

Amy got up and prepared to leave. Brian whined behind her. “No! I’ll be good! I promise! Just tell me the end.”

“Fine,” said Amy, rolling her eyes. “Um. So Steve defeated the horrible monster and went home and lived happily ever after.”

“That’s not fair,” complained Brian. “You skipped everything, even the part where Steve eats the monster’s eyes for revenge, and stabs all the monster’s babies!”

“Ew! Where do you even learn this stuff?”

Brian shrugged. “Better stories?” he offered.

Amy walked back to the bed, punched her brother’s arm, and then stormed out of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment